3.31.2008

Beef. It's What's for Dinner.

I am not a meat eater. I eat chicken. I don't really like ground beef but I tolerate it in lasagna, hamburgers, and tacos. I will occasionally eat steak but only if it is WELL DONE. Pork is a new thing for me but I never cook it myself. My poor husband loves it when my brother invites us to barbecue because that means he'll actually get some red meat...I really hardly ever even buy the stuff and when I do, it sits in my freezer for quite some time before I get brave enough to cook it.

OK, so I'm pretty sure my baby must be needing some protein or something because on Saturday night, we ate dinner at my brother's house. We had some leftover ham from Easter and at one point (after eating several pieces already), I walked out of the kitchen munching on one piece and holding another piece in my other hand. We all thought it was pretty funny that I, the vegetarian of the family (I come from a family of hunters & carnivores), couldn't get enough of that ham. Fast forward to Sunday dinner at my in-laws' house. We were eating roast and potatoes and I was really hungry to begin with, but again, I could not stop eating the meat. I really have never enjoyed roast so much. I had just finished dishing up my 2nd (or 3rd) helping of potatoes & roast when Jeff says,

"Can you believe we're just sitting here eating muscle?"

Eww. On a normal stomach that would make you stop and think a little before taking a bite but my pregnant tummy instantly felt sick. I told Jeff that I didn't think I would be able to eat the rest of my meat and then I proceeded to start to CRY because I was so sad that I couldn't enjoy my roast any more. I have NEVER felt sad about not getting to eat red meat, I can promise you that. And I definitely don't make a habit of crying in front of my mother-in-law (not that she wouldn't understand, I just want to act tough). I sat there for a few minutes and tried to think of something else and finally I was able to eat the rest of my meat (I was really hungry), just not with the same gusto as before. :)


12 comments:

Katharine said...

That is so funny! It sounds like something I would do. I seriously craved red meat when I was pregnant too. I went to McDonalds for a cheeseburger on a weekly basis. Is that even real meat though? Anyway, I would have acted the same way! At least you can look back and laugh now. :)

The Adams Family said...

so much for being pro- husband.

The Adams Family said...

I guess I should stop saying things like this. Good thing you can hear the tone of voice that I would be using in your head.

Marla said...

Three boys and girl is a smart aleck. Tress, you might consider going private. I can't believe you are hungry for meat. But it doesn't hurt to sometimes follow that craving. Who knows you might have another child like Maddie who like meat. I know one thing that picture made me think I should put a roast in the crock pot, but I don't even have a roast in the freezer.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Pregnancy brings out the best in all of us.:-) I can remember craving my dad's steak when I was prego with Clayton. Cooking it, on the other hand, was a completely different story!

Summer said...

i couldn't stand the smell of meat when i was pregnant with troy. any meat, not just red meat, would make me sick. at some meals i would sit and look at the meat wanting to eat it so bad but just couldn't do it!

that roast looks so good! you're making me hungry!

Chad~Nicole said...

I love roast...and I love cooking it because it's easy and you can just put it in the crockpot. My favorite part about eating red meat is that it usually means Chad has to cook it. I don't BBQ well, so if it's not made on the stove I make him do it.

JW said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy we are hoping that both baby and mommy will stay happy and healthy. You sure are brave four kids sounds like a handful.

Cresta said...

That was funny to hear you tell that story! I'm trying to picture you crying at the table about your meat! Ahhh, the joys of pregnancy hormones....

Tressa said...

Hey JW, thanks for your nice comments. I hope things are going well for you and your family. Tressa

Becky said...

That's too funny! Wow it's crazy what hormones will do to you!

Michelle Bebe said...

i craved red meat when i was prego with nash...maybe it's a boy!

i actually am craving fruits and veggies and fresh stuff. what a nice change!

oh and congrats on the pregnancy, i thought you were!!! : ) so exciting!