3.03.2008

Ramblings...

Cole is definitely going through a phase these days...I guess it's the age. His new thing to do is instead of using words to communicate, he just makes this loud noise that seriously sounds like a cow is trying to die or something. It really is driving me crazy; I try to tell him that I'm not quite sure what that means when I hear it; I hope we're making progress. At night before bed, I always ask for a big hug from my kids. Cole has decided that I'm not worthy of a big hug, but that two tiny hugs (he puts his fingers together to indicate tiny) would be OK. It must be a boy thing.

Madlyn just learned how to ride her bike without training wheels. She was making some good progress last Saturday when she first asked Jeff to take them off but then she had the week to practice with MOM. By Friday, my patience was about gone. Every time I would start pushing her, she would slam on her brakes. I'm sure it didn't help matters when I threatened to quit helping her if she slammed on her brakes one more time. Saturday afternoon, Jeff went out with her and she rode down the street the very first time he tried; he has the magic touch (or maybe it's called patience). Since then she has learned to start off on her own and she has been riding around like a pro. After all my lectures on trying again and persevering (I am such a mom), I'm grateful that we can enjoy the excitement that comes from accomplishing something that she has worked so hard for. I told her yesterday that I was so proud of her and she said with a huge grin, "I'm proud of myself too." I will post some pictures soon.

Cade has mastered the art of walking and thinks he is so cool. Yesterday after church, Jeff & I were on the couch talking and Cade kept walking back and forth, each time checking to make sure we were watching. He is LOVING the beautiful weather and has been having fun playing outside with the kids. He is such a cutie. Again, pictures to come.

Jeff has been an angel husband lately. He is always wonderful but I feel especially grateful for him the past few weeks. He has singlehandedly made dinner the past 3 Sundays, 2 of which we had company over: the missionaries and his parents. On Friday night, he stayed with the kids all night while I volunteered at RAGNAR for my Sole Sistas! He hasn't ever had Cade during the night before so he was pretty nervous. I don't think anyone even woke up while I was gone (or maybe he didn't hear them) but I was so grateful. Then on Saturday morning, he let me sleep while he fed and dressed the kids, AND cleaned my messy house. He cleaned the kitchen, vacuumed ALL the rooms, helped the kids clean up the toy room and their bedrooms, etc. It was so refreshing to wake up to a clean house. He has been so patient and loving with me, especially since I haven't been feeling too well. I love to call him at work and tell him that I need him to come home because his immediate response is, "OK. What time do you need me?" Of course, I never make him come but I appreciate his willingness to drop everything to be with me.

I have a great life, I really do. Sure, there are days when I want to put an end to the sick cow sound in my living room or I just don't feel well and I don't want to make dinner. But then I get to watch my daughter learn how to ride her bike, I get my two tiny hugs from my son, and I get to watch my baby make his first steps across the room. I know that I have what really matters: a wonderful, amazing family who I love so much and the Gospel that makes it all worthwhile. My blessings are great indeed.

3 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

Good for Maddie...I don't think Raelyn even realizes she has the option of taking the training wheels off and learning to ride that way! Maybe if she see's Maddie doing it she will want to try. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Chad~Nicole said...

Well said. Canon's latest thing is saying, "What?" even though he heard you. He'll do it over and over. We've been working on breaking this bad habit.

Bethany M said...

I enjoyed the rambling. Your kids are absolutely adorable! It sounds like your husband is a keeper.
By the way, Maddie knew all the "right" answers in Primary this week.