3.20.2008

My Sweet Girl

I have always know what a great girl I have but lately Madlyn seems to be maturing into such a responsible, unselfish, nurturing girl and I absolutely love it! She has always shown some of these characteristics but they are definitely developing more. Some of the things she's been doing lately: asking me if I need drinks of water or food and making sure I'm comfortable, trading plates with a friend so that her friend could have the pink one, getting sunscreen and rubbing it on Cole before he plays outside, getting Cade in & out of his high chair and helping him with drinks or food, etc. I am surprised at how often she stops and thinks of someone else before herself and sacrifices something for them. But she did something the other night that brought tears to my eyes - please indulge me while I share. We all came in from riding bikes outside and Madlyn was complaining of a tummy ache. She said that she wanted to eat dinner in her bedroom. I hesitated because that is definitely against the rules at our house but then she said that she wanted it on the tray. It is a simple green & white checked tray used for breakfast in bed or the like and I've actually never used it. But I knew when she requested it that she was needing a little extra lovin' and attention so I told her that I would bring her dinner on the tray. I got her all settled in her bed with her food & water when Cole interrupted her. I went in to see what the issue was and Cole said that he wanted the tray. I told him that I had a tray he could use, a.k.a., a cookie sheet, and that he could come sit on the couch with me and watch Wheel of Fortune. All Cole said was, "No, I want that tray." Madlyn immediately took her plate and cup off the tray and said, "He can have this tray." I asked her what she would do with her food since it might spill on her bed and she said, "I'll have a cookie sheet. If he wants this tray he can have it and I'll put my food on the cookie sheet."

I know it seems like a simple thing but I know how excited she was to use the coveted tray and then for her to let him use it, no questions asked; it was an amazing thing to see. Here are some pictures of my cutie from the past couple of years:

Maddie on her 3rd birthday

Maddie at 2 1/2

Baker Madlyn at 3 1/2

Big Sis (her favorite title) at 4

6 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

She really is such a sweet girl- Raelyn is so lucky to have a friend that sets such a good example. You must be doing something right, Tressa! :)

Morris Mama said...

OH how sweet! Give that girl a hug for me!

Michelle said...

That Maddie - she can really win your heart. I'm glad you have such a loving daughter. You deserve it!

Chad~Nicole said...

I lover her curls.

The Adams Family said...

hey tress
i sent an invite to your juno account- if you don't get it let me know.

Abram and Ashley said...

That is so awesome! It brought tears to my eyes! I hope Amalee can be that giving.