4.30.2009

Because I Hope I Never Forget...

Warning: The following is a wordy journal entry about the cute things my kids do and say and may only be interesting to grandmas. :)

Maddie is at such a fun age these days. She is such a fun girl and loves to entertain and socialize. A few weeks ago she hosted a P.E. class for her friends because she wanted to teach Cole about P.E. and "you can't have P.E. with just 1 person". Today she had a "fashion show" with Raelyn & Camille (pictures will come soon) and she is always wanting to throw a party of some sort. When I asked her what her plan was for her fashion show, she said, "Everyone needs to dress fash-ie and then we just have a fashion show". Haha...I really like that word - fash-ie. I think I need to start dressing a little more fash-ie. I made her a very excited girl when I told her that there are people who plan parties for a living. She would be great at it! I have been babysitting a neighbor boy a couple of times a week and Maddie has taken him under her wing and really worked hard to make sure he is having fun. The first day he was here, after she had helped him get a snack, she asked me, "Do you think Hunter feels welcome at our house?" I am amazed every day at her thoughtfulness for other people. I got the video camera out today and was taping her for a few minutes and was struck with how beautiful she is as well. I just think she is gorgeous! Lately she's been wanting me to tell her stories about when I was a little girl and when I told her that I learned how to make bread when I was 6 (I know, I know, my brothers don't believe me:) ) she wanted to learn too. So we made bread together today and I loved teaching her about the yeast and watching her knead (just like my mom did with me). What a precious little daughter I have!

What can I say about Cole? He is just about the lovingest little guy. He tells Jeff and me about 100 times a day that he loves us. It's so funny. He gets this urgent voice, "Dad!" "What, Cole?" (and then all sweet) "I love you, Dad." He is constantly kissing on everybody, but especially Lane. I have to ask him to stop sometimes because he gets a little forceful with his smooching and it's a little rough for Lane. Cole has a great memory and it makes me a proud mama to hear him recite the first 3 Articles of Faith. He can also quote about any movie that he's seen (even if he's only seen it once) and often corrects me on song lyrics or movie quotes. Cole is a bike-riding machine and loves to ride out in the driveway and to go for walks. He has started standing up as he rides and I am amazed at the daredevil side of him I see when he rides. He is usually so timid about things but he really gets cruising on his bike and even when he biffs it hard he wants to get back on and try it again. Cole is the EASIEST sleeper ever and is the first one asleep at night and the last one to wake up in the morning. I'm glad he's so easy in this respect because he is a tad challenging in some other areas :)

Cade, Cade, Cade. I love how he sneaks out of his bed at night about 100 times (I am not even joking) and comes crawling out of his room army-style and hides his head in the carpet thinking that maybe I won't notice him. Then when I pick him up, he closes his eyes and kind of flutters them. Seriously so funny. Or how when I say, "Cade, get back in bed" he says all whiny, "But Mo-o-o-om...I firsty". Cade has NOT been sleeping well and when I wake up with the baby, he is always in a different spot. Sometimes I find him in Maddie's bed, sometimes on Jeff's side of the bed (never mine - I think he knows I would make him get back in his own bed) and sometimes I wake up on the couch to him sitting next to me while I am feeding Lane/sleeping. One night I woke up and he was even on the kitchen counter - what?!? I think he just wanders...not quite sure what to do about that. When we read books he'll say, "Hey! How about that?" or "Hey! What's that?" When asked what his name is, he thinks real hard and says, "Name is...Cole!" And then he says, "Name is...Maddie!" "Name is...Lane!" He is such a little teaser, like his daddy. He loves to help in the kitchen and he loves to make messes everywhere he goes. Seriously, he just throws things. If he is eating, he throws his food. I never quite know where I'm going to find it (on the blinds, on the pantry door, etc.). If he is playing, he throws every single toy as far as he can. If he is outside, he throws rocks (or picks not-yet-ripe tomatoes out of our garden and throws them). I am thankful that he is beginning to get the concept of cleaning up and is becoming more anxious to help clean things up as well as make messes.

Lane is just a sweet little angel boy. He is crawling all over and pulling himself up to the LoveSac and chairs and even in his crib. He is still not sturdy enough to stand up very well and so he falls sometimes and has some battle wounds. He likes to grab my hair and give me big, open-mouth kisses and I love it. He plays really well by himself but really likes to be wherever I am. If he is playing on the floor and I walk by, he immediately starts crawling to me and crying. No one else can hardly hold him if I am within his sight...so flattering but not so fun sometimes. He has learned to be tough since his older brothers are sometimes a little rough on him. He smiles at everyone...if you want one of his smiles, just look at him and he will get all excited and reward you with a huge grin. So, so cute! Lane is so easygoing and is adored by everyone in our family!

I feel it a huge privilege to be mother to these beautiful, talented, loving, and funny kids! I am really enjoying the time I get to read with them, play soccer with them, make bread with them, sing songs with them, give hugs to them, laugh with them, teach them about Jesus, and everything else I get to do as their mom! They give me lots of reasons to smile, cry, and laugh every day and I love them so much!

3 comments:

Marla said...

Loved your entry! You have such cute children! I love you all!

Davis Family said...

I thought this was a great post. It is fun to hear about the everyday things your kids are doing.

Michelle said...

I'm so grateful that we can see some of these things up close. But there were so many things that you shared that I loved hearing about and hadn't seen. You have very special and wonderful children... and we have very special and wondeful grandchildren! You will treasure all your blogs and such fun memories as your childen grow into the next stages. You're an amazing mom and your children are so blessed to be so loved.