4.16.2009

We're All in This Together...

By nature, I am one of those 'do-it-yourself' type of people. Well, not in the 'do-it-yourself' home improvement sense (I like to think of the projects, I leave the 'doing-it-yourself' stuff to Jeff) but in the sense that I like to take care of myself and my family all by myself, without any help from others. For instance, when my baby brother was born 16 years ago (yes, I was 11), my mom had left the task of feeding the family to me. So...I woke up super early (like 4:30) in the morning and made my dad's lunches before he went to work, I made homemade tortillas for burritos, homemade bread, etc. My mom had a C-section so she was planning on being in the hospital for about 4 days and because of complications with my brother, it turned into a week. Of course, good friends & members of our ward saw an opportunity to serve and several people brought meals in. I guess I got a little offended...my exact words to my dad were, "Don't they think I can take care of my family?" Fast forward about 8 1/2 years to when my 2nd child was born...my wonderful in-laws came to Flagstaff to stay with Maddie while I was in the hospital. I came home on Saturday evening and they were planning to leave on Sunday after church. Well, on Sunday morning, I was faced with a crying baby and a 2 yr. old that spilled a whole bottle of bubbles on the kitchen floor. I proceeded to hold my screaming baby and clean up the mess. My very kind and helpful mother-in-law saw that I was struggling and tried repeatedly to either take the baby or clean up the bubbles but I WOULDN"T LET HER. In retrospect, I'm sure I was kind of mean (I'm really sorry, by the way). I was determined that I could take care of my kids all by myself.

I have since realized that we have been sent to this earth in families, in neighborhoods, in wards, in communities to help each other along this journey of life. Life is not always easy and we are going to be faced with trials and mountains to climb from time to time and it is up to us to reach a hand to our neighbor, sister, friend, and help them on their journey. And sometimes it is our responsibility to give someone else the opportunity to reach their hand down and lift us up. Because for goodness sakes, this life is hard and we just can't always do it by ourselves. And wouldn't it be a shame if we did not allow others the blessings of service just because of our own pride?

We ARE all in this together; to support, serve, give encouragement to, and especially to love those we are blessed to know in this life. How grateful I am for those who have so thoughtfully and generously given of their selves in countless ways to serve me and mine. And to someone else I know who is going through a little rough patch, our thoughts & prayers are with you and we only wish we could be with you this week. We love you!

7 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Beautifully said. Sometimes I don't ask for help because I feel like I'm putting people out...yet at the same time I would love for someone to ask me for help. It's a big cycle of service.

lyssamcaleavy said...

Tressa...I love your post. I remember our bishop's wife saying one time, I would love some help because I definitely need help at times. I've realized the same thing! I definitely need help at times and what a wonderful thing to have people around that are willing and able to help. You're great! Our prayers are with your brother and coworker.

McDougal Family said...

Thank you for this post - I loved it and needed it! I am the same way - always thinking I can do everything myself and that I don't need help from others (my hubby included sometimes!) But that is very much not true! I need that reminder at times to let people help me - it sure makes things so much easier!

Kristine said...

I loved your post and saw myself in it so much.
We are taught to serve others so much, but the flip side of that is allowing others to serve us. I find when I don't willingly allow others to serve me, the Lord gives me "opportunities" to let others serve me. Sometimes they aren't very fun experiences...but they always help me grow.
You're right...it does take us all...helping each other.

Jan-Lynda said...

Tressa, I'd love to use this in my Relief Society. May I? You put it so perfectly! Love you!

Karolee said...

It took me a long time to let other people help me too. I think as women we think we NEED to do it alone. Thanks for this great post, and thanks for helping me out last week. It was wonderful and I'm so glad you offered! :)

Unknown said...

I am the same way. I usually refuse help, even when I could use it. It's hard to just let go and let others serve us.

I'm learning....