4.07.2009

Things I've Learned from Being Married

Being married to such an amazing guy like Jeff has given me the opportunity to learn many useful things. So, I thought maybe I'd share some of the wisdom I've gleaned just in case any of you have come across similar situations and if you haven't yet, I'm sure you will someday, and then you can be prepared :)

*if you drive his car, always move the seat back to its original position when you're done (and no, this doesn't work both ways 'cause "you can at least get in the car if he leaves it pushed back - there's no way he can even sit down in his car if you leave the seat where you like it")

*when you go to bed at night, be prepared for an all-out battle to maintain control of the covers.

*don't give him choices for what you're going to make for dinner, he won't like any of them. but feed him something
(anything) and he'll be happy.

*a little competition never hurt anybody.
wait...that's what he's learned from me. I've learned...everything doesn't have to be a competition.

*if you need a chore done, don't sigh heavily or act like you're really tired or stressed...HINTS DON'T WORK!!! just ask him to help you
(he may say no but at least you won't resent him for it).

*when you ask for help, give him a time frame
(i.e., could you please empty the trash sometime in the next 30 minutes before our neighbors come over for dinner?)

*if he doesn't do the chore that you ask him to, but picks his own chore (like cleaning the microwave) don't complain...the microwave is getting clean.

*when you go somewhere together, don't even bother getting in the driver's seat (we all know how it bugs him when you get talking, forget that you're driving, and suddenly you're driving 10-15 mph UNDER the speed limit).

*don't ever try to compromise when it comes to salsa...you both hate MEDIUM and it will just sit in the fridge...spend the extra 3 bucks for another jar.

*don't get offended if he puts Frank's RED HOT sauce on EVERYTHING you serve him.

*it's OK to keep some things to yourself.

*don't EVER accuse him of being a perfectionist...'cause then you'll be doing the garden all by yourself.

What have you learned from your spouse?


6 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

How funny! Well I guess I've learned a lot about Jeff from this post! I especially love the microwave one.

Chad~Nicole said...

I laughed out loud at a few of these! My favorite was the dinner one. Something I've learned: Don't complain about his quirks because I have a whole list of my own.

Karolee said...

Your list is great! I'll have to remember the moving the car seat back one... I have learned if I really want to get specific things done, I need to write them down. I felt like a mom with a chore list the first few times, but that's what he likes!

Jamie and Heather Darger said...

Very VERY funny....I need to post something when I am feeling creative. GOod to catch up with you! I know what to get Jeff for hos birthday now - Franks Red Sauce.

belle black said...

ha, funny. i've learned that being appreciative for any help is a great way to ensure lots of future help! oh, and that trying to rush husband out the door for work, church, etc. isn't worth the extra minute it may save . . .

Michelle said...

I think we are married to twins except the covers thing. So funny!