So we all know it gets pretty stinkin' hot here in the Valley of the Sun. But it is just brutal when your home's air conditioning goes out in the middle of June! We came home on Saturday night about 9pm and our house was 83 degrees, which isn't terrible, but our thermostat was set to 78. Yuck! Long story short, by Sunday night our house was a whopping 95 degrees hot! And it was hot, I'm pretty sure that one or more of my family members were about to die. How did we survive? Well, we spent Sunday between our neighbor's house, church, and our hometeacher's house. We are so grateful to everyone that opened up their homes to us - it was no small thing. Sunday night we borrowed a portable air conditioning unit from our neighbors and we ALL slept in the living room with that and 3 fans blowing on us. Jeff & I slept on an air mattress in the middle of the floor with only a sheet for covers (like we needed anything) but when I climbed in bed after making sure that Cade was settled, I was surprised to find a wet sheet on top of me. You know it was hot since I was actually OK with sleeping under a wet sheet. Madlyn asked for one as well so Jeff got 3 pillowcases wet and put them over the kids. Ugh! It was a miserable beginning but by the morning, our living room had cooled to about 85 degrees so it was definitely more liveable. Thankfully, we were able to get the problem fixed by about 9:30 on Monday morning and I'm happy to say we are cool once again. Phew!
6.25.2008
In the Summertime, When the Weather Gets Hot
So we all know it gets pretty stinkin' hot here in the Valley of the Sun. But it is just brutal when your home's air conditioning goes out in the middle of June! We came home on Saturday night about 9pm and our house was 83 degrees, which isn't terrible, but our thermostat was set to 78. Yuck! Long story short, by Sunday night our house was a whopping 95 degrees hot! And it was hot, I'm pretty sure that one or more of my family members were about to die. How did we survive? Well, we spent Sunday between our neighbor's house, church, and our hometeacher's house. We are so grateful to everyone that opened up their homes to us - it was no small thing. Sunday night we borrowed a portable air conditioning unit from our neighbors and we ALL slept in the living room with that and 3 fans blowing on us. Jeff & I slept on an air mattress in the middle of the floor with only a sheet for covers (like we needed anything) but when I climbed in bed after making sure that Cade was settled, I was surprised to find a wet sheet on top of me. You know it was hot since I was actually OK with sleeping under a wet sheet. Madlyn asked for one as well so Jeff got 3 pillowcases wet and put them over the kids. Ugh! It was a miserable beginning but by the morning, our living room had cooled to about 85 degrees so it was definitely more liveable. Thankfully, we were able to get the problem fixed by about 9:30 on Monday morning and I'm happy to say we are cool once again. Phew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh, MAN!!! I feel horrible- we were gone all evening after church on Sunday and if I had thought about it I would have called and told you to stay over here while we were gone, and even slept in our living room if you wanted to!!! I'm glad it got fixed on Monday- how miserable that must have been!!!
Did you guys start thinking about looking in the want ads for a job and house in the cool White Mtns? Just to rub it in this evening it was 68 degrees when I came home from the store because it was raining!!! love ya and I am so glad you aren't roasting still.
I can't believe you guys slept there. You should've had a sleepover at our house. We would've even let you have dry sheets. :)
That must have been horrible! I can't stand real hot heat so I would have been going crazy! I am glad to hear that you got the problem fixed. See you guys soon!
Hey Jeff and Tressa!! We know your pain. About a year ago we went up to St. George for the week and got back to Buckeye about 8:30pm and it was 98 degrees INSIDE our house (Yes the A/C was "on"). Todd complained enough that they came out and fixed it that night but you can imagine how long it took to cool the house back down....
Sorry, the wet sheet was my idea. It's how we stayed cool without any air conditioning in Kansas City when we first moved there. How did the pioneers do it? You guys are troopers.
Oh man! I'm so sorry Tressa! Come stay in Portland with us for the summer- it's heaven here right now. I love the baby pics too. SO sweet! I'm glad things are going well for all of you.
Ours went out last weekend. Our upstairs was 105! it was so gross!
Post a Comment