6.15.2008

Happy Father's Day!

I just wanted to give a quick shout-out to all the fathers in my life on their special day! First of all, I am very lucky in the wonderful father-in-law I have. Jim has always been so supportive of me and my little family. He is a great father to Jeff and has taught him well and is such an example of righteous leadership and self-discipline. He is a fun grandpa and it is easy to see he is well loved by all of his grandkids, even when he teases them! Jeff calls his dad "Jimmy" and it cracks me up to hear my kids say it sometimes too, although most often they call him Grandpa. I love his sense of humor and still laugh at all his jokes, even after almost 8 years! I even occasionally find myself cracking myself up with the same kind of jokes! My only complaint about my father-in-law is that I have never been given one of his famous nicknames!

My dad is about the best dad a girl could ever ask for. I always felt pretty special since I was the one who had blonde hair and blue eyes like him...everyone else (until Lincoln) was darker with brown eyes. I love my dad's spontaneity...I remember being woken up at 3 in the morning on my 17th birthday to see if I wanted to go fishing. Another birthday he woke me up to go hiking. I have such great memories of working with my dad in his business and I learned so much from him. "Verify, verify, verify" is only one of his timeless lessons. My dad is loved by all who know him. He was my bishop when I was in high school and I had several friends tell me how much they admired him; he was even described as an 'animal' after a priest camping trip. My kids love their "Grandpa Davis" and doing chores is so much more exciting with Grandpa...they get to use "hand workers" (Cole's words for gloves) and drive loaders and fun stuff like that.

Finally, to the father of my children: Jeff is such a great dad and our kids absolutely adore him. I love the fact that my children are also his children, that they are part of him and have some of his great personality and looks. Jeff is so unselfish with his time and is always so energetic when he gets home and excited to play with the kids. He is such a great teacher to them. I will never ever forget when he stood up tall and straight during scripture study one night and let the kids try to push him over...he was demonstrating what it meant to be 'steadfast and immovable'. Or the time he let them tie him up to illustrate that 'the Lord is bound' when we keep the commandments. The biggest indicator to me of how great a dad Jeff is is how much our kids love to be with him. Even Cade gets excited and says 'Dada' when he hears the lock in the door in the evening. Cole tells me often that he wants to 'spend some time with his Daddy'. And Madlyn relishes every second she gets to spend with her Dad.

To all you wonderful fathers, Happy Father's Day! I love you all!

4 comments:

Steve Frost said...

I concur. Your dad was an outstanding influence on me growing up. He was always someone I could look to for compassionate understanding and sound advice.
Also, I had the privilege of working with Jeff for a summer and loved every minute of it. He was funny, extremely easy to get along with, and a hard worker. I remember fondly one day when we had nothing to do and instead of sitting around, we went out back and cleaned up the yard behind the ADOT field construction office. Everyone thought we were crazy, but we worked hard and it ended up looking really good when we were through.

Chad~Nicole said...

Good dads are the best!

The Whatcott Fam said...

I've loved reading about people's dad's on their blogs! Your dad sounds like an amazing person. And of course Jeff is amazing also!

Michelle said...

What a sweet way to honor the dads in your life. A good and loving father is a precious gift in a girl's development and life. I'm so grateful you had such a wonderful father. We love and admire your whole family. Thank you for your sweet tribute to "Jimmy". It meant so much to him. You're a super-wonderful daughter-in-law as well as wife and mother. Lucky Jeff - lucky all of us.