Frances Madlyn Bridge LeCheminant, who passed away peacefully on January 7, 2009. Frances is my husband's dear grandmother, and my childrens' great-grandmother. While I never knew Grandma LeCheminant very well, I do know that she was a kind and beautiful woman who loved her children and grandchildren very much. She has always been very generous to them, as well as to the spouses and grandchildren that later joined the family. She was a gourmet cook and a very gracious host. I only had the opportunity to visit her & Grandpa in their Cambria home once but she was so hospitable. It was on that trip that we fell in love with her middle name and decided then & there to name our first daughter after her, even though she wasn't born for almost two years after that.
Grandma did not have an easy childhood, later became a model, and married Grandpa during the Great Depression. She supported him in his career and bore 4 children; a daugher Carol, and three sons: Jim, Bill, and Gary. She was a good mother and grandmother. My favorite story of Grandma is when she caught one of her sons smoking in the backyard (with stolen cigarettes) and taught him the correct way to smoke by inhaling the smoke deeply. When his lesson was over, Grandma had him go to the neighbor's house to confess and apologize to their guests for stealing the cigs out of their car.
I loved Grandma LeCheminant. She was always so kind to me and good to us. We have a beautiful baby quilt that she made for Madlyn that will be treasured for years. It was so sweet to get to take Madlyn to meet her a couple of years ago and watch them interact with each other. I also love Grandma because the first thing she said to me two years ago was, "Everyone is right about you. You are beautiful." I don't think she remembered that she had seen me a couple of times before :)
I love Grandma because she raised a good man who later became a father to a son who grew up to become my husband. My father-in-law is a righteous, good, and kind man who is also a great father and grandpa. If I didn't know anything else about Frances LeCheminant but that Jim was her son, I would know that she was an amazing woman.
Grandma, we love you and miss you. Until we meet again.....
*Grandma was preceded in death by her son Bill, and her husband Glen. She is survived by her daughter Carol, and two sons, Jim & Gary, as well as 12 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren, with more on the way.
3 comments:
Sounds like Maddie has some big footsteps to follow being her namesake and all...but so far she's doing a pretty good job! :) She sounds like a wonderful lady.
What a beautiful tribute to Grandma. I ditto your sentiments. By the way Bette said the Yamamotos love Maddie and that they can't believe how smart she is and knows all the stories. She'll carry on Grandma's name is goodness and righteousness.
Tressa...you said everything perfectly. She was a wonderful woman who I think about often and can't wait to see again. Thanks for the tribute!
Post a Comment