My mom is pretty much a genius in the kitchen. She can whip up the most delicious food at a moment's notice, and it doesn't seem to take her any time or effort at all (I know it does, Mom - but you sure do a good job of masking it). My kids talk about eating breakfast burritos at Grandma's house, complete with freshly homemade whole wheat tortillas & all the fixin's. Mind you, whenever she cooks, she has to prepare enough for her own 6 ravenous sons and 2 daughters and now all of their spouses and children. It is no small feat, that's for sure. My mom is famous in our small town for making a few things, one of which is her rolls. I have heard many references to Marla's Rolls and people wishing they could make rolls like Marla. My sister and I are among these hopefuls; somehow the roll-making gene was not passed on to us. It is amazing to watch my mom make rolls - she forms them so effortlessly and they turn out all soft and perfectly round...and not a single drop of dough sticks to her fingers while she's doing it. I remember the first time I made rolls as a married woman - I thought I was pretty cool and that my husband was gonna LOVE me - it was not nearly as easy as Mom made it look and I failed quite miserably. First of all, I can not shape them without getting at least half of the dough stuck in between my fingers, and then they are all misshapen and ugly. And most of the time, they don't rise at all so they just end up being tough and lumpy and really not desirable at all - nothing like the soft, melt-in-your-mouth Marla's Rolls.
I have tried everything and nothing has worked. I have even lived at different altitudes and tried several different recipes and ovens...nothing. I have resigned myself to the fact that I may never be able to make yummy rolls like Mom and that they may as well be called biscuits when I make them. (That's for you, Dad)! But yesterday, I had a breakthrough: I thought I was going to be taking dinner to a lady down the street so I decided to try the rolls again. I made bread too, which I can do, so I figured if the rolls didn't turn out then I'd just give her some bread with her dinner instead. What happened was magic. The dough just worked with my fingers and they just formed so effortlessly, with almost no help from me it seemed. They rose beautifully and baked to perfection. I tasted one later and felt like I was literally eating one of Marla's Rolls. Really, it was that good.
Now unfortunately, my sweet neighbor ended up having dinner with family so she did not get to sample this delightful culinary creation of mine but my family sure enjoyed them. In fact, they were dug into and halfway eaten before I had the thought to take a picture. I really hope that this was not a fluke occurrence and that I'll be able to make rolls this delicious again...thanks, Mom, for teaching me everything I know in the kitchen and everywhere else. I couldn't ask for a better mother.
P.S. If anyone wants the recipe for my mom's famous rolls, just look in any Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook...it's their basic roll recipe. Somehow, they just taste better when Marla makes them.
3 comments:
I definitely agree with you about your mother and her cooking. I loved to go over there growing up. My mom quick making rolls before I figured out the trick. So I turned to my mother in law and made her make her rolls while I wrote down the instructions (that way I could write all her secret tips). Well I have had a few batches turn out well, so I used the recipe for fry bread. My all time favorite was when my mother in law asked what recipe I used for the fry bread and was shocked that it was her roll recipe. :)
Thanks Tressa! thank you for making me sound so good! Just remember that I have had lots of practice. I am just so proud that you want to make rolls, etc. I will tell you this you are every bit as good as me and then some. You are so talented and so willing to serve and share. Thanks for your example.
I'm getting that cook book out! or I'll just have some of your declicious rolls. How wonderful to have such a great mom.
Post a Comment