So when I was pregnant with Cade, I got a great idea for a boy name: Willem. Jeff & I both have Williams in our family history but I liked this variation better. Jeff basically vetoed it from the get-go but I continued to ask other family members and friends for their opinion. The basic response I would get was "Hmmm. Willem? Really? Hmmm. No, I don't like it. Actually, it's kind of an ugly name." Of course, since we are expecting another boy and struggling a little in the name area, I decided to bring it up again. Again, shot down by my dear husband. And again, no one else seems to appreciate it either. I've given up hope of ever being able to use this awesome name but it would be nice if I could find someone out there who sees how cool it really is. Anyone?
Also, I like the name Crandall. It is a family name but I had never thought of it until I read it in my baby name book and I fell in love with it. Pretty sure it's one of Jeff's least favorite names ever (it's a toss-up between that and Willem) so it is definitely out as well. What's your take on this one?
11 comments:
Names are HARD! I can not even imagine trying to find a boy name. I dont know if I like the name Willem just because the spelling is confusing but I really do like Crandall. Too bad you are having Jeff not on board with that one. It is hard enough picking it on your own. I still dont know if I am sold on our name but I figure they grow into them and later on you think...I can not imagine a better name than the one we picked. It will all work out whatever you choose. Go with your gut :)
I instituted the rule at our house that if we don't agree on a name by the time I go into labor, then I claim all naming rights (since I am in for a ton of work). It seemed to help with unyeilding stubborness against names I liked. Good luck!
Names are such a sensitive issue. When I was pregnant with Canon we had a girl name picked out, told the family, and they hated it and kept trying to rename "it." Then, Chad decided out of spite (since none of them liked it) we HAD to name her that. Lucky for us SHE was actually Canon. Ever since then I'm reluctant to give my opinion on names. If you tell people you don't like their name, and then they choose it anyway, then you feel bad, but since you asked...I'm not a big fan of Willem, but I do love Crandall.
You know how I feel about Willem! If you use Crandall you should consider spelling it Crandell since that is how the family name is spelled, although I believe in England it was originally spelled with the A, but I am not sure.
We can't agree on names either, hence the poll I just put up. I like Allison's rule, we may have to use that. One thing with Willem is it will always be pronounced and spelled wrong or shortened to Will. Sam hates that he is "Sam" but he has to put Samuel on all his official paperwork and is adamant that we will never name a child something that will be shortened all his/her life. It is also hard if you have a name you like and someone says Yuck then you are not sure if you should use it or not. My siblings have suggested the following: Cornelius, Tony (from Frosted Flakes), Capn Hook, Atticus the Mysticus, Frost, etc. So I told them I wasn't calling anyone to come see the baby until I had the birth certificate filled out. :) Okay this is a really long comment, but one other thought real quick have you heard anything about a 10 year reunion. Lydia has been asking. Email me: vflake@mac.com
HUM....I would have to say since my son's name is William that I like the name. The only thing is when I read WILLEM I don't think WILLIAM>>>> I think "WILL-EM"....maybe it is just me. Also, my son's name was SUPPOSE to be William Mcneal but since I was at the hospital and Brent didn't happen to be there when I was filling out the paperwork...I named him William Riley...I told him a couple days later...HAHAHA. Anyway, something I have always done when naming my kids is seeing them when they are born...hence the William Riley...Mcneal just didn't fit. Just a thought.
To clarify, it is Will-em, not William. And also, we will not be naming our baby either of these names because Jeff dislikes them both so much. So no one has to feel bad if they say they don't like them....I'm beginning to think that maybe I am the weird one liking Willem. Hmmmm. And Mom, are you serious that our Crandell is spelled with an E? I wasn't positive but it seems like I would have remembered if it was an E. Oh well.
Thats kind of funny because Buchanan really likes the name Crandell, he wanted to name Cardsen that. I like the name too, but I was worried that he would be called Dell, which I don't really like. I have never heard the name Willem before, but I think it could grow on me and I could end up liking it. Good luck though! Finding names are hard!
bryan's cousins named a boy wiliam i think ... but the call him liam.
sounds like >>>leeum>>> .... they really love the name.
picking baby names is tough...
i loved nash from the first time we thought of it and to be honest when i saw him i was so shocked by the blonde hair and blue eyes that i wasn't sure WHAT to call him. but i stuck with my gut and now i can't imagine him as anything else!!!
Boy's names are so much harder than girl's names. Don't feel bad, there are lots of odd names that I like and Dale has shot down. Willem is interesting. It kinda looks like a typo when it's written. We might be related because my mom's maiden name is Crandall. How about Crandlem or Willandall? A nice combo of the two?
Well, since I have to be partial to our family name, I say Crandall is very cute. Plus, our Great Grandpa would definately approve!
Boy names are harder than girl names, I think. Just start calling the baby a name for a while, and if you get sick of it or decide it doesn't "fit" your family, it isn't too late to change it!
Post a Comment