
Tonight during scripture study we were reading the end of Alma 5 and Alma's invitation to "Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life" sparked a discussion about baptism. Among other things, we talked about how old a child has to be before they can get baptized and we named some cousins and friends who have recently been baptized or will be soon. As I began telling the kids a little about my own baptism, it clicked: today is the 19th anniversary of my baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Memories flooded back as we talked about who baptized me (my dad) and what it was like for me on my special day.
August 12, 1989: almost 3 weeks after my 8th birthday...I thought I would die having to wait so long. Back then, it was not uncommon for a child to get to be baptized on her exact birthday, but to have to wait 3 weeks was almost unheard of. Another unique thing about my baptism was that I was not the only one to get baptized that day in my ward (back then almost everyone got their own special baptism date). Austin Perkins (who had celebrated his bday back in June) and Mindy Jackson (who was a couple of weeks younger than me) were baptized that same night.
We were baptized in order of our age, so I was right in the middle. I got to wear a white baptism dress instead of the usual jumpsuit (I felt pretty lucky) and then I changed into a beautiful dress that my mom had made. I am not really good in the water and I was pretty scared about the whole situation but I remember thinking that it hadn't been that bad after all.
It was a special day for me and one I will never forget. The blessings that have stemmed from that decision to get baptized are more than I can even possibly try to enumerate or describe. I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life and for the strength and sustaining power that I receive from my testimony of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation.
4 comments:
I love how you take the time to write in your posts....I always feel like I get to know you better. Even without seeing you now but for a few minutes on Sundays. :)
Isn't it amazing how that decision we make when we're eight affects the rest of our lives? We're so blessed. Thanks for sharing.
Hey Jeff and Tressa! I was looking at my nephew's blog who had CJ Eagar's blog who had Clay & Jewelia's blog who had your blog so I was so excited to find this. It looks like you guys are doing awesome. Please send me your email address, and I will invite you to our blog. It is a private one at this point. My address is timshill@cox.net. I hope to hear from you soon! Catch ya later! -Tim
Ok, so random but I was there! (for Austin's-1st cousin)
Post a Comment