5.09.2008

What a Day...This is Going to be a Long One

OK, so let me start at the beginning. My big brother Houston is in dental school at the Arizona School of Dentistry in Mesa and he graduates in about a month. So he asked me to get some X-rays to see if I had any good cavities he could fill for his boards or mock boards. I have never had a cavity filled and to be completely honest, I haven't been to the dentist in about 8 years. So we thought I might have just the perfect one. Well, I had a perfect cavity but it was on a hard tooth (#15 - which is way back on the left hand side on the top) so he didn't want to use me for his real boards but he asked if I would come in for his mock boards, which are going on today and tomorrow. I agreed, although I admit, I was pretty nervous. For someone who has never had a cavity, it was a scary thing. I got to the school at 7:45 this morning and we got started. Man, it was intense! Almost every little thing he did I had to go to a different floor and 3 dentists had to examine it and grade it. I had a number assigned to me so that the graders could be completely impartial, not knowing who my dentist was. His assistant (who turned out to be his brother-in-law Trevor, who isn't a dental assistant at all) had to hang out with me all morning while I waited in line and got graded and all that good stuff. Quick side note: Trevor is married to Houston's wife Danielle's sister Sarah. And Trevor's sister Ariann is married to my other brother Buchanan. Family get-togethers are pretty fun with all of us! Back to the cavity: the worst part about it was when I had to go upstairs with my mouth pried open with a rubber dam and clamp and I couldn't swallow. By the time it was my turn to be examined, it was pretty bad. They were calling in the professional suction people because it was gross. Actually, it was more like, "She's drooling over here. Can we get some suction? Hey, can we get some suction? She's drooling." Anyways, I finally got out of there at noon and I think everything turned out just fine. Houston did a great job, even under all the pressure, and I felt very confident in his abilities as a dentist. I am so proud of him and his family for what they've accomplished. When I drove into the parking lot this morning, I saw a cute little sports car with Indiana plates (probably some rich kid whose dad is footing the bill), and it made me realize how difficult this road has been for Houston. He is married with 3 children and I know it hasn't been easy on any of them, but I am so excited for their future (out of school) and know he will do great!

On to the next part of my day: I had my appointment at 1:30 for my ultrasound for the baby. Ever since we found out we were pregnant, I have been debating whether or not I wanted to find out the gender before it was born. Apparently, it wasn't such a debate for Jeff because he informed me a few weeks ago, "The only way we're not finding out is if the baby doesn't cooperate." OK then. Actually, we have been surprised for the past 2 so I was willing to give him a turn. I was a little disappointed at first but as the day approached, I got more excited. WELL, we have a healthy little baby and I am so thankful for that. And, 'he' was all cooperation so I guess we'll be adding another beautiful boy to our family! I was a little surprised, I thought it would be a girl, but I immediately felt so much love for this little boy and we are so excited. The only problem: what in the world will we name him? I was hoping for a girl because I really don't have a clue what we will name another boy. As I was lying there on the table, I couldn't help but picture my 3 handsome missionaries and I feel it such a privilege to be mother to these wonderful boys.

Part 3 of my day: shopping with coupons. My mother-in-law went with me to a couple of stores and we got some smokin' deals: 4 packages of bacon for FREE, replacement blades for my Schick Quattro razors for $2 (yes - they normally cost about $9), Gogurts for $1/box, and some more cereal. Yesterday I got cereal for 25 cents a box and 4 packages of sausage for FREE. It gives me such a rush to save money like this and get my pantry stocked.

All right, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. I wish I had a good picture of my little 'boy' but I guess the umbilical cord was all wrapped in between his legs so it didn't turn out very well. It was a good day and I feel very blessed.

16 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats on the news!! Some of us get to populate the world with Boys...

I was convinced my last one was a girl with how sick I got...I was a little disappointed at first when I found out it was another boy...However, I couldn't imagine my little baby boy as anything else. I love all 4 of my boys and I am grateful for my one daughter. She will be very well protected when she gets older.

Anyway you have an adorable family!!

Mindy said...

Hey sorry for this random blog, but I saw your link on Chris and Stacia's blog. Chris is my cousin. I clicked on your blog because I was good friends with a Nicole LeCheminant while I went to MCC. Are you related? If so will you please have her e-mail me at

thesanderscm@gmail.com

Thanks,
Mindy (Flake) Sanders

Tressa said...

My husband has a sister Noelle LeCheminant but no Nicole. It seems like I vaguely remember her mentioning your name so I will pass on your email address.

Davis Family said...

Yeah! Another boy in the Davis family. What are we going to do with all these boys running around? They are sure going to have fun at family reunions! We are so excited for you. Way to be a trooper for Houston's dental visit, that was a funny story. Hey, how do you get such smoking deals? I need some help with saving money on the grocery side of things.

Chad~Nicole said...

Congratulations on going blue at your house!

Michelle said...

We're so excited for another little grandson. You're a wonderful mom - he'll be so lucky. Loved the pictures in the last blog. Thanks for the fun Mother's Day Celebration.

The Whatcott Fam said...

Congrats, Tressa!!! I can't wait to meet your third little boy!

Marla said...

I can tell you that little boys are great fun! I should know. One thing for sure is with a house full of boys I appreciated and enjoyed my girls. When I told Grandma Vee about your future son, I told her maybe the world just needed a bunch of really good boys. Then when I read your blog about the three handsome missionaries I cried like a baby because I really do know that the world needs good missionaries to bring them the truth. I am excited for you. I know that you will always treasure Maddie and any sisters she may have down the road. But you will enjoy your boys too. Thanks so much for being such a wonderful daughter. I certainly do consider it a blessing and privilege to have two beautiful daughters!

Marla said...

and 6 handsome and valiant sons!

Marla said...

I can tell you that little boys are great fun! I should know. One thing for sure is with a house full of boys I appreciated and enjoyed my girls. When I told Grandma Vee about your future son, I told her maybe the world just needed a bunch of really good boys. Then when I read your blog about the three handsome missionaries I cried like a baby because I really do know that the world needs good missionaries to bring them the truth. I am excited for you. I know that you will always treasure Maddie and any sisters she may have down the road. But you will enjoy your boys too. Thanks so much for being such a wonderful daughter. I certainly do consider it a blessing and privilege to have two beautiful daughters!

Shawn and Tasha said...

Congratulations Tressa! You are such a wonderful mother. Any child that enters your home will know that.

I've never experienced the whole dental school guinea pig patient thing- yet.:) I'm sure I'll get my turn within the next three years. I've heard those rubber dams are a load of drooling fun.:)

Morris Mama said...

Yay another boy! Thinking of good boy names is so hard! I can think of a million girl names that I love and the only boy names I like, Dale has vetoed!

Michelle Bebe said...

Congrats on the boy!!! How exciting...

You are brave to do the dental work with a student and with your FIRST one!? I can't believe it!

Oh, please tell your husband THANK YOU for helping in Nursery yesterday... he had my little one who had never been to nursery before...

Becky said...

Congrats!! You have such cute kids! Sounds like you had fun at the dentist thing... your a good sport too!

Vandee said...

YEAH! I am so excited to have a little boy too. No idea on names either for us but we have a few months. Congrats to Houston too! That is awesome and you were very brave! Take care!

beth said...

Hi Tressa, I can't believe I read the whole thing! i was just blog surfing tonight, it was fun to catch up on how you are doing...I haven't seen much of you since you were in high school...time flies. I think I will try some cinnamon rolls and pasta tomorrow. Congrats on your lovely family and soon to be new addition. Beth Perkins