3.29.2007

What's in a name?

I've been thinking a lot about names lately, especially last names. I have always loved the last name I was born with. And while it is in no way unique or unusual, I always felt that my last name was special and I was always proud to bear my father's name. I loved introducing myself to people who knew my parents; I was loved and accepted many places because of the good reputation of my wonderful dad and mom. Despite my adoration for my last name, I yearned for the day when it would change. I have always thought that getting married and taking my husband's name would be the ultimate in romance. I tried on many last names (which girl doesn't test the name of every guy she likes with hers?) and none seemed to fit very well with mine. I resigned myself to the fact that I would probably fall in love and have to wear an awful-sounding name that just didn't fit quite right for the rest of eternity. Lucky for me, I fell in love with the perfect guy with the most perfect name for me. From the day that I met him, I wanted his last name to be mine. After we were married though, I began to worry. I no longer had my parents' name to give me good graces everywhere I went and I didn't know if I would be able to make it on my own. But...I soon found that I had been given a name with the same honor of my previous name. My in-laws are great people and the reputation of my new last name precedes me in many circles; I love it! And the cool thing is, I still get to claim my maiden name and I haven't lost a thing. I know that I will always be my parents' daughter, no matter what last name I am wearing; I have only gained a new and wonderful layer of who I am. Taking my husband's name as my own has given me a sense of belonging to him and with him forever. I love feeling that while I am my own person and very capable of taking care of myself, I don't have to. I have someone to ride this rollercoaster of life with, to plan and dream and sometimes struggle, but to always love and cherish. Now, I know that most girls aren't as lucky as me to find such a cool name, but I still feel that no matter what name you inherit in marriage, it is still the ultimate in romance. And to my sister-in-law who will be changing her name next week, I know how much you love your last name now and it may be a little hard to let go, but I truly feel that embracing your new husband's name and making it yours will be a symbolic gesture of accepting him wholeheartedly into your life and soul. I love you and I know that you and your new name will live happily ever after.

2 comments:

The Adams Family said...

Hey Tressa, I had forgotten about your blog so when I checked the gmail I was had to follow the link. You know you could probably write for a magazine. You have such a way with words. I really enjoyed the clean sheets and the what's in a name and well actually just everything. You really should save them in paper form too. You are such a romantic! Love ya, Mom

belle black said...

tressa, i loved this post. while i was a little sad to give up my maiden name, i feel exactly like you did. i am now officially noelle black. and i couldn't be happier about it. ;)