4.15.2013

Humility is a virtue...

I went outside to shoot a few hoops with Cole and Cade this afternoon. I was feeling like my boys should be pretty proud of their old mom since more than a few of my shots were making their way into the basket. But then I remembered the laughable way I look when I shoot. Apparently my form isn't normal. At least that is what I have been told. A few times. So then I worked on my form and tried to make myself look better. I don't think it worked.

I moved on to the trampoline and tried a few front flips. I couldn't land a single one. I got close though. Once. And it wasn't very many jumps before I remembered how unpleasant jumping on the trampoline can be for a person who has given birth to six children.

At that point, I gave up on trying to be totally awesome and came inside. Then I thought about this past Saturday's Cub Scout Day Camp. The boys did an obstacle course and I thought I would impress them by my abilities so I tried it. I did ok but my big shoe got caught for several seconds in the gunny sack (jumping in a gunny sack is a lot harder than it looks, by the way) and I did a little belly flop onto the grass that was apparently pretty funny when I got to an obstacle that I needed to crawl under. I think I was good comic relief. Needless to say, I didn't break any records.

This I what I realize: getting older is humbling. Or maybe, just being me is humbling. Because let's face it, I am really not that old. I guess the trick is to keep getting out there and playing and pretending like I am 12 again. I want my kids to someday be able to tell their friends what my little brother told his, "my mom might look old and tired, but she's just old."



3 comments:

Jeremy,Jennie said...

Tressa!!! It's been WAY too long!!! I texted you awhile back (with my new number) and didn't hear back from you, did you change your number?

Loved this post. And you are, most definitely, one of the coolest moms I know. (and you aren't even close to being old!)

Jeremy,Jennie said...

Tressa!!! It's been WAY too long!!! I texted you awhile back (with my new number) and didn't hear back from you, did you change your number?

Loved this post. And you are, most definitely, one of the coolest moms I know. (and you aren't even close to being old!)

Tressa said...

Jennie! Yes, I did change my number! I thought I texted you with it but maybe not:( sorry about that! You must have gotten a new number too because I texted you a question a while back and didn't hear from you:) my number is 480-349-0663.