4.11.2013

Golden Birthday

So Madlyn turned 10 yesterday- I can't believe a decade has flown by so quickly! We celebrated by having chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, and orange juice for breakfast. I was so happy when Cole said, "this is kind of our tradition, isn't it?" Yes, we do have chocolate chip pancakes for birthday breakfasts! Then I felt a little deflated when Cole said that "mornings on birthdays are always like this" (meaning chaotic and rushed). Oh well. At least we have some traditions:)

After school, Madlyn got to go to get frozen yogurt with her grandma (perks of living one minute apart), to her new activity day group, she made her own birthday cake (her request), and she helped me make her birthday dinner of homemade orange chicken and fried rice. Grandpa and Grandma L. joined us for dinner and then her cousins who live nearby joined for cake and ice cream. Our gift to her was a new bed and bedspread and freshly painted bedroom furniture. She is working on her Paris-themes bedroom and we gave her a good start.

It was such a fun day and she said she felt loved and appreciated so I think it was a success! I did, of course, reminisce about her birth and am just so grateful that she decided to join our family 10 years ago! We love our Mads!

P.S. At 10, Madlyn loves cooking, music, and planning. She is in her school's production of Seussical and is enjoying that. She takes piano lessons and plays the viola in the orchestra at school. She is very talented and is coming out of her shell. Madlyn really is an extraordinary chef. She LOVES to cooks and will often make entire meals by herself with absolutely no help from me, aside from sometimes helping her find the recipe. It is so much fun to cook with her and it is especially awesome that she loves to chop! She will come ask me if I need anything chopped and loves to do it!

Madlyn is such a joy to have in our family and we all love her!

P.s.s. Madlyn had a fun surprise and had a new cousin born early in the morning on her birthday! My little brother and his wife had their first baby, little Carson Boyd. We are so excited and happy for them and can't wait to meet him!!




2 comments:

Spencer and Shreann said...

Happy Birthday Madlyn! Congrats on the new house! It sounds like things are going well for you. :)

Jeremy,Jennie said...

Awwww, Happy Birthday to Maddie!! Look how big she is getting!! I miss your kiddos.