3.11.2012

A Little Fall of Rain

One of my very favorite songs from Les Miserables is sung by Eponine and Marius - A Little Fall of Rain. I love it. The lyrics are heart-wrenching and the music is haunting and beautiful. Here are the first few lines:

Don't you fret, Monsieur Marius
I don't feel any pain.
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now.
You're here, that's all I need to know.
And you will keep me safe.
And you will keep me close.
And rain will make the flowers grow.

So what is the message in these words today? I will tell you.

We have had pretty much nonstop rain here for the past 4 days. When it first started, I was so excited! Living most of my life in the desert has made me love rain! After 2 full days of gray skies, I started feeling dreary. I know it wasn't just the weather but the clouds, the rain, and the lack of sunshine were oppressive. I became unmotivated, irritable, depressed, guilty, and felt like a failure as a mother and wife. It didn't matter what I tried (I even took a morning jog around the block in the drizzle yesterday), I could not pull myself up out of the dumps.

We made it to church today. Barely. I really dislike springing forward. I think it messes up my whole schedule for 6 months. Anyways. We made it. We heard 1 1/2 talks in Sacrament Meeting (out in the foyer) and I think they were talks given just for me. The lessons in Sunday School and Relief Society were amazing and so pertinent to the challenges I am facing. Toward the end of Relief Society, I had to excuse myself to change a dirty diaper and met a friend in the hallway. She started talked about my twins and how big they are getting, etc. and then she started telling me nice things like how amazing I am with my 6 kids. I felt badly for her because she was completely unsuspecting and I totally started crying to her! Wow - I never do that. I told her that I have been feeling overwhelmed and the conversation that followed was just what I needed. I left feeling uplifted and hopeful and inspired.

I came home and spent some precious hours with my kids, worked hard alongside my husband, and now in a few quiet moments, these lyrics came to my mind,

A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now.
You're here, that's all I need to know.
And you will keep me close.
And you will keep me safe.
And rain will make the flowers grow.

I know that even in our hard times, The Lord is with us. He keeps us close. He keeps us safe. I know that if I put my trust in Him, I can weather any rain that comes my way. And in the end, rain makes the flowers grow.



1 comment:

Marla said...

Tress, Thank you for your thoughts today. I just recently finished reading a book entitled "My Grandfather's Blessings" or something like that. I don't have it here at the store or I would know the title for sure. Someday I'll talk with you about it. But may I just say that even though you could write about anything you wanted, I believe you should write a book with pieces like you wrote today. To me it is about connecting, about life, not factual spewing but heartfelt thoughts that inspire and encourage people to rise above the struggles or trials. (the book I mentioned is a lot like your writings. I guess that is why I mentioned it.)