3.02.2010

Brigham's Graduation Weekend

For Valentine's Day, I was the happy recipient of a plane ticket to Iowa so that I could visit my sister & attend her husband's graduation from Chiropractic School. Jeff & his sister Lyssa (who watched our kids for a day & hosted them all for another day) so sweetly provided the opportunity for me to go sans kids and it was a pretty monumental event for me. I was super-duper excited to see my sister and her family, and I was so happy that it worked out for me to be there to support Brig on his big day.

Brigham's parents & siblings & a niece & nephew made the trip from AZ and so we all hung out together for the weekend. Aside from the graduation, we played a little Rock Band and Settlers, watched some Olympics, ate some of Milla's yummy sweet pork burritos, did YogaX (from P90X), visited the campus, hung out at the mall, shared one bathroom, watched late movies, slept in, and overall enjoyed a very relaxing and fun weekend.

Here are just a few pictures that turned out halfway decent from my camera. Note to self: it might be time to invest in a new camera.

this is where graduation was held - it was a really awesome old building and on the floor to the left was an organ and an organist played all the prelude & processional music - kind of eerie (or maybe it was just the choice of music)

all over the buildings were different quotes - it was so fun to read them all as we walked around. this one by Thoreau is one of my favorites - it reminded me of a few conversations I've had with Milla about making 'conscious decisions'. Milla is one wise woman:)



Here is the graduate - man, we are so proud of Brigham, I mean Dr. Adams. He graduated with his Bachelor's Degree and his Doctor of Chiropractic at the same time so he has been going to school for about 10 years and this is his first graduation ceremony. He has worked so hard and will be a great chiropractor! (Oh wait, he already is!)



another quote that I liked. B.J. is the founder of the school - B.J. Palmer. I didn't get any pictures of it but there was a huge collection of skulls, spines, and other such skeletal pieces that B.J. had acquired. It was very interesting to see but just a little bit morbid for my taste.



And here's the proud family (minus Parks who stayed with a neighbor for graduation). Camilla, Layton, & Parks have also worked so hard to make this day possible - I'm so excited for them all! Oh, and if it looks a tad chilly outside...that's because it was...I had to pull out my good ol' Ricks College coat to keep from freezing my hiney off!

Some fun/funny memories from the weekend:

hanging out with my sister & chatting
getting to see Brigham's graduation
getting a massage from my massage therapist sister
getting an adjustment from my chiropractor brother-in-law
playing Rock Band and rockin' it on the drums
asking Brig's friend who is from Canada if it is "super cold there" and him answering, "super-duper cold" (I think I left half of my brain at home with my family)
playing with Parks & hearing Layt read to us
eating my sister's yummy french toast
planning outfits with the girls
sleeping in as late as I wanted
hearing the girl at Subway tell a customer that "we don't have 4 inch subs...we just take a footlong and cut it into three pieces" (I haven't laughed so hard in a long time)
eating Ben & Jerry's at the airport
Whitey's ice cream in Davenport

It was such a great weekend and I'm so glad I could go - thanks Adams' for the fun time!

5 comments:

Davis Family said...

Looks like you had fun and it is good to have a break without kids every once in a while (even though we miss them)! Yum, we went to Whitey's while we were in Iowa last summer - so good. And you can't beat Camilla's cooking either (and yours! I need a few more lessons from both of you!). I am so glad that you were able to go out and spend some time with them.

Marla said...

Thanks for the update. Sure wish we could have been there. sounds like we missed a lot of fun.

Marla said...

Thanks for the update. Sure wish we could have been there. sounds like we missed a lot of fun.

The Adams Family said...

That was a nice post. Thank you! and Thank you for coming!

The Whatcott Fam said...

That sounds like so much fun...that's awesome that you could go!