2.13.2010

Once there was a Snowman...Texas Style


Thursday night, Jeff's sister Lyssa & her children stopped at our house on their way home from San Antonio for a little sleepover. It was such a fun way to break up our week just a little bit and relax from daily pressures. While they were here, they found out that their school was cancelled for Friday because of all the snow the Dallas area was getting; that meant they didn't have to rush home early the next morning to make it back for school - yay! We were all a little bummed though because the snowfall hadn't been too impressive here in Hewitt so we knew school would be in session for Mads.

Jeff went out to start his car Friday morning before work and came back in & said that it was being announced on the radio that some schools were being delayed 2 hours and that we better check on ours. So we checked the website and sure enough - 2 hour delay!! I thought, "Wow. We must have gotten a lot of snow last night to warrant a snow delay." I looked out the window and the ground was basically sprinkled with snow - I laughed because "There isn't even any snow out there!" But I didn't complain because it meant that we got to take our time eating yummy french toast, playing with our best TX cousins, and making a snowman. OK, it was really just Maddie & Jake who made the snowman, which stood about a foot & a half tall - hehe. Everyone else wimped out and didn't last very long outside. I don't blame them though because we desert Arizonans are not prepared for snow and the kids were using socks to protect their hands from the cold. Maddie said "It was sooooo cold. Me & Jake had to share socks:)" Cute kids.

I love the Dallas Cowboys hat the snowman is sporting - that doesn't mean we're fans or anything (it's Jake's hat) - but I thought it very fitting for our "Texas snowman". (Not that I have anything against the Cowboys either...I'm just an AZ girl:) )

Oh, and when I went to get the newspaper out in the front yard, the headline read, "A SNOWY MESS". Haha. Tell that to all the folks in northern AZ and Washington, D.C. and all the other places where they've been getting snowed in all winter:)

It was such a fun morning - thanks McAleavys for coming to play with us!

2 comments:

Marla said...

That is a cute texas snowman. Texans have a claim to BIG, as in big state, big ranches, whatever but not in snowmen I guess. Tell Mads it is really cute! And it is a snowman which they couldn't have had in Queen Creek. We heard that there was snow in every state in the Union except Hawaii. Wow!

The Adams Family said...

That ROCKS!