10.21.2007

My Little Scientist

I love that Jeff has taken so many classes in math & science because he is constantly teaching our kids and exposing them to technical terms at such a young age. For instance, he often asks them if they know what the cosine of theta is or what shearing or buckling means. It is funny but I also think it is good for them. Tonight was another good example of this. Jeff was looking at a text book from college (yea, I know...I always tease him for being a nerd) and Madlyn came up and was asking him questions. He started talking to her about an object's mass. He then introduced the concept of weight and how weight is dependent upon an object's mass, as well as the gravitational pull upon that object. Madlyn: "What's gravity, Dad?" Jeff, being the good teacher that he is, didn't just answer her question, but had an object lesson ready. He grabbed a ball and asked her what would happen if he threw the ball in the air. Madlyn: "It would fall....(the light clicked) oh yea. Gravity. I totally already know what that is." Haha. Smart girl. I'm pretty excited to be going through this stage with Madlyn; she is learning so much and is so excited about it. She has her dad's curiosity and is always asking me to, "tell me all about it, Mom." I am especially excited that she is learning to spell and read a little since that is my claimed expertise (or at least my love). Speaking of, we watched Akeelah and the Bee the other night and I was wishing that I had studied more for the spelling bees when I was younger like my dad wanted me to (although I know I wouldn't have done quite so well as Akeelah did). Needless to say, my desire to learn new words has been rekindled. My favorite word that I've most recently learned is 'quotidian'. Maybe my new goal will provide some diversion from the otherwise quotidian events that are my life :)

6 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

I wish I knew what shearing or buckling means. I guess Madlyn is smarter than me. If you get yourself a jump rope maybe you could spell like Akeelah. :)

Michelle said...

You make the events come alive. You're such a good writer. Madlyn is a very, very smart little girl and I'm not a bit prejudiced!

The Adams Family said...

Quotidian huh! I suppose that must mean something to do with the status quo? I have to echo Michelle's comment, Madlyn is a very smart little girl and I am not prejudice either! It sounds to me like she has a smart mother and father too!

The Adams Family said...

I forgot I comment as Camilla, that last comment was actually your mother's Tressa!

Marla said...

I had to leave another comment because I just got a new gmail account so now I log in as myself! I really am thinking that I should blog.

Jamie and Heather Darger said...

Okeayyyyy Tressa! I did not even know you had a blog! How did I miss that. ANyhow I love reading all about your family. There is never enough time to chat and it is fun to hear about your thoughts. I just love your family, we couldnt have a better home teacher as Jeff. I think he is a smarty pants too. HA