6.20.2012

What do you get when you combine strep with pneumonia?

One sick girl. And no, this is not a joke. Madlyn has been sick for 12 days now. She was diagnosed with strep throat 8 days ago and was just not getting better. She was still running a fever and was so tired and fatigued and didn't have any energy. Every time she would get up and do something, she would get winded and have to rest. On Monday I called the doctor and they changed her prescription and told me that if she wasn't better in 3 days to come in for another appointment. This morning she woke up with a fever still and even though it hadn't been 3 days, I felt like she needed to be seen so I called the doctor again and took her in. I told the nurse practitioner my concerns about her breathing (which were validated by her oxygen pulsometer?? and her heartrate and listening to her breathe, etc.) so we did a chest X-ray and a breathing treatment to see if that helped anything. After seeing her X-ray, the NP's words were, "Your X-ray is quite impressive. You have pneumonia. You have a pretty good case of pneumonia." Apparently her left lung was particularly bad. Poor girl. No wonder she has been so sick and so unlike herself. It makes me feel so bad that we didn't catch it earlier. I feel so frustrated because her breathing was what had me worried in the first place - she didn't even ever have a sore throat! I should start listening to my mommy instinct because I am almost always right on the money! (OK, not always. There was the time I was convinced there was something terrible going on in Madlyn's mouth - turned out she had a canker sore:) Dumb mom moment for sure.) Anyways, she has an additional antibiotic to take for a few days and hopefully she will be good as new by the time we hit the road for AZ next weekend!

No comments: