12.02.2009

When I Grow Up...

I love being a mother. I know it is a sacred responsibility and I take it very seriously; I also love my children and have so much fun with them. I feel like I have been a little bit down on my role as mom lately (perhaps not too much on my blog but more in person). Maybe my bad attitude is warranted (I am the mother of 3 lively boys) but probably not and so I don't want to be that mom anymore. I want to take a quick minute, for my own sake, and talk about why I love being the mother of my children.

Reason #1: my kids are cute! Maybe I'm a little biased but seriously, who can resist Cole's big blue puppy eyes? And Madlyn's curls are so darling - I LOVE them! And Cade's mischievous grin & Lane's happy, accepting face are just to die for! They are all so different and unique in their looks but everytime I look at them, I see some of their dad...or their uncle or aunt, or their grandpa in them. I love that!

Reason #2: my kids are smart! They are all very unique in their mental capacities and it is so much fun to watch and to help them develop their own strengths! Madlyn is so quick and loves learning. She is a very good reader and mathematician. So far we've been lucky and school has come very easy to her. Cole has such a good memory and loves learning as well (he just doesn't like to be pushed). Cade loves to color and count and is very curious about the world. Lane is always exploring everything around him and is very curious. They get all their smartness and hard work ethic from their daddy:)

Reason #3: my kids are funny! I wish I always wrote down the funny things my kids say but here's a little sampling: As I was getting some eggs out for boiled eggs one morning, Cade asked, "Mom, can I help you hatch them?" He likes to crack the eggs - haha! When they were finished cooking, he asked, "Mom, can I have a rotten egg?" Yesterday the boys & I met Jeff for lunch and as we were driving away, Cole forlornly said, "Mom, I am going to miss Dad." "Me too, Cole." Thoughtfully, "But Mom, if you miss Dad, why don't you whine?" About a year or so ago, Madlyn started calling me "Ma" and now it has passed to Cade. It is so funny for me to hear my little kids call me "Ma!"

Reason #4: my kids are valiant spirits! Some of my favorite moments are listening as my kids give a Family Home Evening lesson about the topic of their choice, listening to them recite Articles of Faith, and listening to them sing hymns! My heart is touched as I hear my 2, 4, and 6-yr. olds sing "Behold a royal army, with banner sword and shield is marching forth to conquer on life's great battle field..." And then with gusto (especially Cole - it's hilarious) "Victory, Victory, thru Him that redeemed us. Victory, Victory, thru Jesus Christ our Lord. Victory, Victory, VICTORY! Thru Jesus Christ our Lord."

There are many other reasons but these are my favorites. I am truly blessed to have these strong, courageous spirits in my home and my heart. If I am ever a bit depressed about my role as their "Ma" it is only because I feel inadequate.

5 comments:

Brandon,Shara and Family said...

Love this... it can be hard sometimes to take a break from all the craziness in our lifes and really see that we are so blessed with these little angels we have been given.

Chad~Nicole said...

I've been doing some evaluting on my motherhood recently. I've been raising my voice way too often. It's a good thing kids are so forgiving and let you make mistakes.

Marla said...

Loved your blog! Wonder how you feel about things today? Got pictures of the original haircut? Couldn't help but laugh and laugh last night. Looking forward to having a blog that deals with the fun of being the mother of a two year old.

Morris Mama said...

You have smart, happy, darling kids so that must mean you are doing something right!

Stamp With Linz said...

I love it, thanks for the reminder. :) xoxo