6.15.2011

I am a mom.

Today I took all of my kids to the grocery store with me. Yes, I said all. We were quite a sight, I tell you what. I had Callie in my front pack, Kimber in her carseat on the cart, Lane in the basket part of the cart with strict instructions to stay seating, and the others walked next to me. Or in front of me. So I could run them over. Actually, they were very good. And thank goodness. I was in the store for less than 30 minutes and got several, "Are all these kids yours"? Or my personal favorite, "Don't even tell me all these kids are yours." I smiled sweetly at them all and said, "Yes they are all mine. Yes, we are busy. And yes, my hands are full." OK I didn't say that exact thing to everyone I met, but you get the idea.

As we were loading up in the car, I left Kimber, the groceries, and the cart at the back of the Suburban while I buckled Lane and Callie into their seats. I asked Madlyn if she would please watch the cart so no one could take anything. Her reply, "And so no one can take Kimber." Exactly. To which Cole said, "Because Kimber is such a sweetheart...anyone would want to take her." Aaahh, what a sweet big brother. As I was finishing buckling the others, I heard a gentleman say something to Madlyn about a little boy. She said, "No, she's a girl." I walked around to the back of the car just in time to see a man with a cowboy hat walking away. "Mom," Madlyn asked, "Was that OK for me to talk to him like that?" Yes, dear. You did just fine. Just then Cade said incredulously, "Mom...that cowboy thought Kimber looked like a boy!" Haha.

The life I have chosen for myself is not always easy. I have way too many days where my patience as a mother is lacking. Often, I have at least 3 children crawling all over me, pulling my hair, requiring diaper changes, giving me the wettest kisses you can imagine, and stretching my patience to new limits every day. I have way too many scenes in my home where children are testing the boundaries and I am not "mom enough" to be firm, where temper tantrums happen, fights occur, and chores do not get done. I have way too many moments when I am tired, discouraged, unmotivated, and wonder if I will ever make it through these busy days.

I am happy to report though, that while my chosen life is not easy, it is one that I cherish. Because sprinkled in with the tough things of every day life are sweet moments with my children. Moments where I hear my two babies laughing at their older siblings; moments when I see tears in my daughter's eyes as she tells me she is feeling the Spirit; moments when my 5-yr. old gets so excited because he lost his first tooth; moments when my 4-yr. old smiles his contagious smile as he runs to get a ball so we can play catch; moments when my 2-yr. old tells me that he loves me as he plants a big one right on my mouth. Moments like the one I described before - when my kids say the cutest and funniest things. Moments that I immediately call their daddy and tell him about.

Yes, all of these kids are mine. And I love them dearly.

5 comments:

Marla said...

it was fun to read your post. You gotta love all those words of shock and awe.

Minda said...

You are a great Mother! I just wish I had the tiniest bit of your patience and love that you have for your children. Twins are tough enough alone, I can't imagine having four others too to deal with along with twin babies. You are amazing.

Minda said...

You are a great Mother! I just wish I had the tiniest bit of your patience and love that you have for your children. Twins are tough enough alone, I can't imagine having four others too to deal with along with twin babies. You are amazing.

Beth Benson said...

love this post :)

The Whatcott Fam said...

Tressa you are absolutely amazing! I loved reading all of your new posts. You are a wonderful example to me, and I miss you!